Monday, January 23, 2017

Treating Shin Knots and Bumps from Muay Thai

This is the week I've been looking forward to. I find out this Thursday if I can be rid of this air cast and move on to physical therapy so I can get back on the mat. I really am looking forward to finally getting back to it and hope the doctor doesn't keep me in my walking cast any longer. I'll report back in after my appointment on Thursday.

In the mean time I've been trying to prep. So to start, for those who don't know, the walking cast forces my foot into a position that takes the strain off the metatarsal bones. It's because of this that I've noticed that my foot, since it's been broken, has developed a weird pocket of fluid in the area under the break that the boot forces up to keep the strain down on the bone. Due to this phenomenon happening I wanted to try and desolve the fluid so that I do not get any oddball pain in the area. I've had several scares over the past few weeks where the fluid has shifted causing a pinching feeling and also causing me to think that I may have done some damage. I've been super careful up to this point and know that I couldn't have caused further injury, but it's been a big enough annoyance that I started doing some hot water treatments like you can see in the below video.

I do not know the person in the video personally, but like her Muay Thai vlog because she's living in a way that I cannot due to family obligations. I don't lament my family for this, but there are parts of me that wishes I could have traveled to do what she's doing in Thailand when I was a little younger. I highly recommend you check out the rest of her YouTube channel so you can see her travels, fights, and her other videos from different Muay Thai related things.

That said, the below video talks about how to treat knots and bumps in the shin due to clashing shins and feet with your sparring partners and opponents in Muay Thai (which I'd imagine happens often enough for her, I know it does for me when I'm training). I used the same principle to desolve the fluid buildup in my foot. I hope you find this informative.


No comments:

Post a Comment