Sunday, February 21, 2016

Hello Everyone,

Lately I've been doing a lot of review work. I'm testing for my black belt in August this year and I need to make sure I remember all of my curriculum like the back of my hand. At the same time, our school is working a back to basics theme. After the last group color belt test, it was apparent to our head instructor that there needs to be some work done to improve everyone's basic kicking and striking skill sets as there was a lot of sloppy movements in the group test.

So the question of the day is: how do you review and progress when every class you go to revolves around basic techniques and not your core curriculum on which you'll be tested?

Answer: combine training on your own with your back to basics training, and you'll see amazing results.

Seems like a simple answer but, it's true. We cannot always rely on the class time to work on exactly what we want, unless we are paying for private lessons. The group as a whole needs to work on basics like kicking form, and proper striking technique. I know I need to work my curriculum. This requires me to work on my own time at home as well as dojo training.

Now I know my kicking form is pretty good but, these group beginner classes are also good for me. Why? I've been kicking for 12 years, but I know I do not always have perfect form and the only way I'll ever achieve perfect form, is to practice, and that's what these classes are. Solid, guided practice.

So if you're frustrated with your classes because they aren't working on what you specifically want to, just remind yourself, "this school is about more people than just me". Set aside some time to work on your own at home on the things you need. Remember, martial arts training is a personal journey. You know what your goals are and on what you need the most practice. When training on your own, take some notes on things you'd like to run by your teacher. I know every teacher in my school and all of the black belts are always willing to help out with curriculum questions.

Until next time, train on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment