Monday, June 27, 2016

Recent Sparring Event and Closing in on Black Belt

Recently I participated in an open style sparring event through my school. All of the different systems that are practiced there were invited to participate and we were encouraged to invite friends from other dojos and styles. This wasn't meant to be a competition but a training day. I had a blast and look forward to another event like this. I have stated in the past that I use martial arts as an outlet or therapy for myself and I have to say I haven't felt as relaxed as I did walking out of the dojo that day, in several years. 2 straight hours of free fighting with Karate, Muay Thai and MMA fighters really took the edge off.

Here's a highlights reel.



On another note, I'm scheduled to test for my black belt this August and not to put a finer point on it, I'm getting nervous. I know the material in our curriculum very well, but am worried about my stamina. This test is not just a test of your knowledge but also of your body and will to push through.

I keep reminding myself that I've done something like this before, but for whatever reason, I want it more and for different reasons then I did back when I took Taekwondo. Back then, it was more of a status symbol. Sure I knew that it was a solid starting point, and something to be respected and hard earned, but now it feels different. Now it's a desire to earn something that which requires all of myself. This rank was respected at my old school to some degree but I think it was easier to obtain and therefore just didn't mean as much. Also in my old school the focus was on the belt, whereas in this school, the focus is on the journey. In my current school, the rank of black belt in our Sho Bin Ju system is respected not just by the other traditional martial artists, but also by the MMA practitioners, BJJ fighters and Thai boxers. 3 4+ hour sessions in 1 week will be a hard earned rank.

I'm nervous as I said before, but I also can't wait.

Train on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment