Saturday, January 7, 2017

Dealing with Injuries

So I didn't mention it in my last post, but I've been out of classes since Thanksgiving week due to a broken foot. While teaching in class I rolled it up on its edge and the 5th metatarsal popped. Was such a non-aggressive activity that caused it that at that moment I couldn't fathom that my foot was actually broken. It went numb on the spot and I hobbled out to my car and drove home, iced it and went to sleep. Laying in bed the next morning it felt fine, and then I tried to get up which caused so much pain that I collapsed. I had to slide down the stairs on my butt to get to my phone to call out of work, and then I had xrays done at the Urgent care clinic. As it turns out I have what's called a Jones fracture which is common with dancers, and martial artists. This fracture has a 25% chance of forming what's called a non-union, which means that the bones never actually refuse back together,  due to the poor blood-flow in this area, without a screw being put in to assist them. Thankfully my followup with my podiatrist yielded them ordering me an ultrasonic bone stimulator and strict instructions, to which I've been sticking to religiously. My 7 week visit shows the bone is remodeling, and in 3 more weeks I may be able to start physical therapy on my foot and being active again.

While I have other goals and purposes for studying karate, I primarily use it as a stress reliever. With night school and a fairly hectic full time job, on top of an autistic 3 year old, I'm often stressed out and karate takes the edge off in a healthy way. Since I've been out with this injury I've had to find less physical outlets, so that I can allow my foot to properly heal. I found myself stress eating a lot those first couple weeks and even having the more occasional beer, which isn't going to help anyone so I started trying to think of more constructive ways to outlet my stress.

As I'm a tech nerd, gaming was high on my list of stress outlets (loving Fallout 4) as well as listening to heavy metal in the car (I'm a major metal head. Killswitch Engage and Amon Amarth are some of my favorite groups if you care). I also have put a very large amount of energy in tinkering with my web server that I've recently gotten setup, but had been putting off due to other things occupying my time.

These other activities are helping me in a much more constructive way then how I was initially responding to the forced sedentary lifestyle that I've spent so many years breaking the habits on and I'm finding, especially with the server, I'm doing things more creatively than I normally do. I'm testing out some content management systems that I've not worked with in the past, to expand my knowledge base on some web design tools. I've also come up with some good ideas on ways to make some passive supplemental income on the web and I've also gone out of my way to learn some new, and more powerful video editing software to do some projects that I've been putting off.

While I miss karate more than anything, I think this experience has been useful and put some things in perspective. I plan to be back on the mat as quickly as possible without causing myself further risk. Many people who are as dedicated as me to their martial arts, will take the risk of coming back to training earlier than the doctor advises. I understand the mental state of these people because I'm there. It's really difficult to drive by my dojo when I'm out running errands knowing I can't go in and train for an hour that evening. That said, you're body is the only one you get. It's not worth risking further, or permanent injury, to satisfy that mental push you feel. Instead direct that energy into other things for a while. You might learn something that'll benefit you.

Train on.

No comments:

Post a Comment